Thursday, February 17, 2005

Back to being pissed off....

I won't be online much today--my kids are both home with the icky cold I had yesterday.

I just got wind of this article from ABC news, and it's so disheartening. But knowing what I know about the other potential complications of Type 1 Diabetes, I can't say I'm surprised. Just another thing to add to the list.

THIS is why we fight this disease EVERY DAY for tighter control. THIS is why we test 10 times or more a day and get up at night and test. THIS is why it's so messed up that Lantus insulin was only JUST approved for sale in Canada, yet those POOR CANADIAN DOGS AND CATS with diabetes have been able to have it for years.

As a friend of mine says, "Where's the $%^$^& cure????"

Kids With Diabetes Often Have Impaired Hearing

Feb 16, 2005 — DELHI (Reuters Health) - Hearing loss occurs early during the course of uncontrolled type 1 diabetes in children, researchers report. They say diabetic damage to nerves or blood vessels might be the cause.

Dr. Abdelaziz Elamin, of Sultan Qaboos University in Muscat, Oman, and colleagues followed 63 children younger than 18 years old with a confirmed diagnosis of type 1 diabetes, who were seen at the Khartoum Teaching Hospital, Sudan.

The children had had the disease for an average of five years at the time of study, and the condition was poorly controlled, the team notes.

Hearing assessments showed that all the children had some degree of hearing loss, but one-third of them had a loss of over 25 decibels that indicates functional impairment, the researchers report in the medical journal Indian Pediatrics. {more}

And while you're at it, head over to the JDRF and toss a little spare change their way. My son's only 7. Kids his age should not have to think about going blind, losing their hearing, going on dialysis, having a heart attack. If I have my way, THOSE THINGS WILL NOT HAPPEN TO HIM.

I believe that someday, there WILL be a cure.