Advocacy Costs You Nothing
From the NIH website: "Founded in 1887, the National Institutes of Health today is one of the world's foremost medical research centers, and the Federal focal point for medical research in the United States. The NIH, comprising 27 separate Institutes and Centers, is one of eight health agencies of the Public Health Service which, in turn, is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Simply described, the goal of NIH research is to acquire new knowledge to help prevent, detect, diagnose, and treat disease and disability, from the rarest genetic disorder to the common cold. The NIH mission is to uncover new knowledge that will lead to better health for everyone. NIH works toward that mission by: conducting research in its own laboratories; supporting the research of non-Federal scientists in universities, medical schools, hospitals, and research institutions throughout the country and abroad; helping in the training of research investigators; and fostering communication of medical and health sciences information."
So, please call your Senators and ask them to support Senator Arlen Specter's Amendment to the NIH budget.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: JDRF Government Relations
To: JDRF Advocates
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:46:35 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: JDRF Washington Report Vol. 8, No. 7 - Action Required
JDRF Washington Report
Vol. 8, No. 7
March 15, 2005
HELP NEEDED TODAY FOR SENATE NIH BUDGET AMENDMENT!
We have just learned that Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) plans to introduce an amendment to add $1.5 billion to the National Institutes of Health budget tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9:30 am. Please call your U.S. Senators and urge them to vote in favor of this budget amendment!
We know that you are already contacting your Senators to urge them to cosponsor Senators Specter (R-PA) and Harkin's (D-IA) bill to expand embryonic stem cell research. This NIH funding amendment is a separate but equally important issue.
Use the following website to get the phone numbers for your Senators http://www.capitolconnect.com/jdrf/legislatorsearch.asp
*** Note: When you call, ask for the health aide, and if the aide is not there, leave a detailed voicemail for him/her. Try to avoid leaving a message with the front desk:
· As a constituent, I am calling to urge Senator _____ to support Senator Specter's budget amendment to increase NIH funding by $1.5 billion.
· Explain your personal connection to juvenile diabetes.
· The current proposed budget would fund approximately 402 less grants in Fiscal Year 2006 than were funded in Fiscal Year 2005. It would also result in cuts in grant size, which will reduce the number of young scientists working towards disease treatments and cures.
· Senator Specter's amendment is paid for through a reduction in administrative expenses.
· With diabetes alone costing the U.S. about $132 billion annually, medical research is worthy of a continued strong federal investment. I urge the Senator to support Senator Specter's amendment.