Thursday, May 18, 2006

Found These Things in My Pocket

Hey guys, today is a mishmash of things. I'm trying to get back to regular blogging while preserving my writing time. It's a tough balance, especially when I'm on a HUGE roll with the book (see below).

Thank you so much to everyone who emailed and called with supportive messages about my last post. I hope I didn't come across as a dark, depressing person! I'm not! Or if I am, a trusted friend immediately calls me on my bullshit. I certainly don't FEEL dark and depressing. I feel fantastic! And, as my entry led with the other day, addiction is truly a horrifying darkness, the depths of which you do not quite understand until you have found your way into the light. But fortunately, I have found my way out of that dark and ugly place. And I am finding an amazing world of happiness opened up to me as I progress further along on this journey.

There are people out there that some friends of mine refer to as "dry drunks" who try to do it alone or without the benefit of a program . I'm so glad I don't have to do it alone. I am very blessed in all respects, to have the recovery program I do, and to have the opportunity to take this journey of spiritual growth, which I would not have tried, I'm sure, had I not come into this program. So as I said in the comments section, I'm not sad about anything... only grateful!

On another note, I was sorry to see Elliott Yamin leave us on American Idol--did anyone else tear up when he and his mom rode in the convertible among the throngs of people, and his mom had a tear in her eye? I just lost it and began crying. This young man has been through so much, and I know first hand what his mom has been through. When they tell you your baby has diabetes and it's forever, that he will die without insulin, that he faces numerous, devastating long-term complications.... it's crushing and terrifying and unreal all at the same time.

In addition to being a talented singer, Elliott seems to be a great, unassuming, unpretentious person. Like many people I've know who have pulled through great difficulties, it has only built his character. Not just his juvenile diabetes, but his partial deafness and his mom's lengthy illness and taking care of her... Elliott has faced these challenges, and become a better person. Bravo Mr. Yamin! I am your fan forever!



I was thinking about the fact that Elliott went to school before the advent of Lantus (long acting insulin that does not have the terrifying 'peaks' of the older long acting insulin NPH), which means his mother had to deal with a strict diet and specific number of carbs for snacks--and more horrible, the pretty significant chances of terrifying, potentially deadly middle-of-the-night hypoglycemia continually hanging over their heads.

My understanding is that Elliott now wears an insulin pump, which as all my diabetes friends know, improves matters but is still only a tool to control a lifelong, difficult, and always unpredictable disease. Middle-of-the-night hypoglycemia is something our kids will always have hanging like the sword of Damocles, but at least Lantus, and Novolog basals via the pump, do not have those nasty, nasty peaks. (Now I know I'm going to get an email pointing out that Lantus has a peak. Yes, I know Lantus has a peak. I know many kids who have had middle-of-the-night lows while on Lantus or the pump. Sadly, I have even heard of some who have died from middle-of-the-night lows. But my point is only that Elliott grew up in a time when children did not have the flexibility and freedom that Lantus and the insulin pump offer.)

Elliott deserved to go to the finals in American Idol. While all of the top singers are talented, in my opinion, he has the richest, most textured voice of the three finalists. Anyway, the finals were screwed up when Chris was voted out. The final two really should have been Elliott Yamin/Chris Daughtry.

I love Elliott... and his mom! I am sure he will be a successful R&B singer when this is all over and it's so fantastic he has had the exposure he has had so this album will be made and we can buy it! If he ever wants a biographer, he can let me know... **GGG** I'd be all over an Elliott Yamin biography! I hear he is going to be the spokesman for either JDRF or the ADA now. There, ladies and gentlemen, is a person of character.

On a vaguely related note, check out this magnificent New York Times article about Type 1 diabetes. In it, the controversial "First Five" ads about which I blogged awhile back are mentioned. It was OUR PARENT GROUP who coordinated the email campaign to get the ads altered--and we are mentioned in the New York Times!

As for the writing, things are going so swimmingly right now, I can't even tell you. The work is just flowing, and going in directions I never expected. Yesterday I wrote 22 pages! That's what Honesty, Open-Mindedness and Willingness will do for you!

Here's my thought for the day:

A joy shared is twice the joy,
a pain shared is half the pain.


More tomorrow on the BEST BOOK EVER for boys 8 and up! And NO... IT IS NOT HARRY POTTER!