Friday, September 02, 2005

Another Way to Help

I just UPSed to the dLife hurricane relief efforts for tomorrow's delivery (Saturday arrival) a HUGE box of diabetes supplies. I went to my local Longs and asked the manager if they had anything extra at all, anything dented or opened they couldn't sell. They filled an entire grocery cart. Nearly $2000 worth of supplies. Mainly meters and strips. Mailboxes Etc mailed it all at cost. It would have cost $185 to mail and they mailed it for $130. They were glad to help out also. All these lifesaving supplies would have just been lying around the back of Longs until the end of the year when they would have discarded them.

If you haven't mailed your package yet, think about asking at your local pharmacy, if they are friendly and approachable. They were glad to help. I don't like to ask for things, but it was easy to do with the picture of that poor girl in ketoacidosis at the Convention Center in my brain. I only wish there was more I could do.

To donate supplies (no insulin please) to the efforts mail your package asap to dLife Relief, 101 Franklin Street, Westport, CT 06880.