Friday, December 09, 2005

To Explain My New Potato-Killing Habit: Or, I MADE A LIST!

This week has had its share of bad mornings. From baked potatoes catching fire in the microwave (in case you were wondering, 25 minutes is just a LITTLE too long for a baked potato... especially when you're not paying attention to it, GUH), to being a half hour late to school (due to oversleeping due to waking up at three for a blood sugar test due to an infusion site failing at bedtime due to it getting wet at swim team practice... did I mention I HATE diabetes?), my mornings have been... LACKING IN GOOD PUFFY SHINY HAPPY THINGS.

Yesterday though, a BAD morning transmogrifed into a TERRIFIC, FANTABULOUS, ASS-KICKINGLY AWESOME morning when I learned that MY BOOK. MADE. A LIST.

No, not a bestseller list, although when it came out, it did have a run on The Bookseller bestseller list (top 15) in England (where they are all so smart and beautiful and discerning and did I mention smart and beautiful and discerning?). But the book has been out seven months now.

This is just as exciting, though. Yesterday I learned that MY BOOK scrapped and fought and tussled its way onto The Los Angeles Public Library's list of Teens' Favorite Books.

See, every year the teens of Los Angeles nominate and vote on their favorite books. The books can be from any year, classic, contemporary, general fiction, science fiction, or whatever.

Ohmigod. I had to make sure I was awake because they voted The Bitch Posse onto the list at #22. Having my book in the company of all these other wonderful titles is just... well, I'm pinching myself.

Anyway, it's become very clear to me that I need to light fires in my microwave MORE OFTEN.

My editor and agent are really thrilled. Here is the full list and the link, but keep reading to the end, because there's some stuff I wanted to say and a site I wanted you to visit.

Teens' Favorite Books 2005

1. Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez

2. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

3. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

4. Animal Farm by George Orwell

5. 1984 by George Orwell

6. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

7. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

8. The Giver by Lois Lowry

9. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

10. Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

12. Resident Evil series by S. D. Perry

13. Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan

14. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

15. Shiloh by Phyllis Reynold Naylor

16. Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

17. Cantora: A Novel by Sylvia Lopez-Medina

18. The Best Laid Plans by Sidney Sheldon

19. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

20. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

21. Carrie by Stephen King

22. The Bitch Posse by Martha O'Connor <--LOOKY! THAT'S ME! OHMIGOSH, AND I HAVEN'T EVEN PUT MY MAKEUP ON YET!

23. By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho

24. Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

25. It Happened to Nancy by Anonymous Teen

26. Latina's Bible by Sandra Guzmán

That sound you heard was me fainting to the floor in rapturous delight.

Now, teens of LA, you've impressed me so much that I'm going to RISK MY LIFE here in San Francisco and say~

I LOVE LOS ANGELES.

Los Angeles has streets paved with gold and beaches made of pixie dust and everyone there is smart and beautiful and discerning and did I mention smart and beautiful and discerning? Especially the teens of Los Angeles. I LOVE THEM. I am going to kiss and marry all of them and then let them copy my homework the next morning in homeroom. COZ THEY FOUND MY BOOK.

AND THEY LIKED IT.

I LOVE LOS ANGELES. You might even see me sporting Dodger blue one of these days. THAT'S how honored and amazed I am.

So as a thank you to the teens of Los Angeles (who are smart and beautiful and discerning and did I mention smart and... oh, I did?), I've made a donation to The Alliance for Children's Rights. Their mission is as follows:
The Alliance for Children's Rights is Los Angeles County's only free legal services, information clearinghouse, and social services referral organization devoted solely to helping children living in poverty and foster care. We provide children the help and support they need to grow into healthy and productive adults. Every child we help confronts poverty on a daily basis. Their lives revolve around courtrooms, institutions, house programs, and bureaucrats. For many children, The Alliance is their last hope and line of defense. Since our founding in 1992, we have served over 30,000 children. Annually, we help nearly 6,000 children.
They received a four-star (highest) rating from Charity Navigator. You can donate as well. Coz you know, donations are down at almost every charity but The Red Cross this year, and some people have bigger problems than potatoes catching fire. *off soapbox*